JAM (jam.com) produces innovative online courses for kids 8 and up. Kids use our app to get instruction from experts, share their progress, and get feedback. Our charismatic community moderators set the vibe for JAM and are the one kids come to for advice and inspiration as they work on their projects. You make sure that our members love the JAM experience and feel fearless to try, fail and improve. We are looking for someone passionate, creative, and hardworking to champion our community.
What is JAM?
JAM courses are focused on topics that most schools don’t teach yet. Each course is hosted by an expert—we call them mentors—who produce videos to share activities, techniques and tips with kids. Jammers post their response to each activity in the form of a video or photo.
What is the heart of the job?
- Social: You are the face of JAM to our community and the role model they admire. You inspire kids to actively participate in our courses and to share their knowledge with each other.
- Feedback: You oversee all course activity by encouraging and mentoring kids ages 8-14 through brief feedback on projects they post in our JAM app. You guide Jammers whenever they are stuck and keep them motivated to make progress. You use written comments as your tool for communication.
- Safety: You keep JAM safe for all kids by banning any trolls. You’ll guide them toward kindness and constructive feedback, but will take action when necessary to keep the community safe.
- Tech: You are an expert on our app and web features and are able to explain how to use JAM to kids with a wide range of reading/comprehension levels and to parents with a wide range of technical skills.
What will I do?
- Respond to ~400+ queries per day from kids and parents.
- Kid Community: You provide encouragement, constructive feedback and tips to kids of varied skill levels. You take an avid interest in the topics of our courses (animation, illustration, cooking, inventing, Minecraft, singing, etc.) and are willing to learn whatever it takes to help kids succeed in our courses. You use a knowledge base of answers to FAQs for kids and help us expand and improve our canned responses.
- Parent Community: You handle inquiries from parents via Front and Agorapulse. You help our parents quickly resolve problems and unblock anything keeping them from registering for a course or having a positive experience with a course.
- JAM Staff: You provide a valuable feedback loop between kids and our product team. You collect and share member suggestions, as well as pain points, with the rest of the company.
What is the ideal background?
- Demonstrated passion for helping others to succeed
- Expertise building or actively participating in online communities
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Ability to thrive in a startup environment
- Experience producing content and building an audience
- Love for arts and creativity, especially drawing
What are the necessary traits to succeed in the role?
- Intrinsically motivated to work hard and do whatever it takes
- Fearless to learn
- Creatively confident
- Highly social
- Inspired by kids
- A positive, upbeat personality
When will I work and what will I be paid?
- Work schedule: Thursday-Monday ~5 hours/day. We're looking for candidates with flexibility to go full-time during certain stretches.
- Work period: Start Immediately through end of year.
- Pay: $16-20/hour depending on experience