JAM produces innovative online courses for kids 7 and up. Jammers use our app to share their progress and get encouragement. Our charismatic community manager sets the vibe for JAM and is the one kids come to for advice and inspiration as they work on their projects. You make sure that our members love the JAM experience and feel fearless to try, fail and improve. We are looking for someone passionate, creative, and hardworking to lead our community and our moderation team.
What is JAM?
JAM courses are focused on topics that most schools don’t teach yet. Each online course is hosted by an expert—we call them mentors—who produce videos to share projects, techniques, and tips with kids. Jammers post their response to each activity in the form of a video or photo.
What is the heart of the job?
- Role Model: You are the face of creative confidence to our JAM community and the role model they admire. You are a maker with a strong portfolio of original work and you generously share your skills with the kids in our courses.
- Lifelong Learner: You are fearless to learn and take an avid interest in the topics of our courses (animation, illustration, cooking, inventing, Minecraft, singing, science, etc.). If you aren’t yet an expert on a course topic, you are willing to learn whatever it takes so you can help kids succeed in our courses.
- Mentor: You oversee all course activity by encouraging and offering constructive feedback to kids with varied skill levels. You guide Jammers whenever they are stuck and keep them motivated to make progress. You use written comments as your tool for communication within our app and respond to ~500+ projects per day from kids.
- Socializer: You inspire kids to actively participate in our courses and to share their knowledge with each other. You create contests and course-wide announcements to spark participation and rally the community. You make all kids feel welcome in our community and you connect them to each other.
- Safety Monitor: You keep JAM safe for all kids by transforming would be trolls into contributing members of the community. You’ll guide them toward kindness and constructive feedback but will ban them when necessary to keep the community safe.
- Efficiency Hacker: You tirelessly search for ways to make the job more efficient and effective. You create and continuously improve a knowledge base of answers to FAQs for kids. You run database queries to cut down on the time it takes to respond to kids. You use broadcast tools to more effectively communicate with the entire community.
- Tech Whisperer: You are an expert on our app and web features and are able to explain how to use JAM to kids with a wide range of reading and comprehension levels.
- Brand Ambassador: You are the public face of our JAM brand. As such you, carry out our educational and creative philosophy and are a trustworthy representative of JAM in all communications with kids and parents.
Who will I work with?
- Executive Team: You will report to our COO and will keep the entire executive team consistently informed of your team’s progress on OKRs. You are someone who can be counted on to meet or exceed your goals.
- Moderators: You manage a team of remote moderators. You are skilled at finding, hiring, training, and mentoring people and you proactively anticipate when new hires are needed.
- Producers: You help improve our courses by collaborating with our producers to revise content until it yields consistently interesting results.
- Product: You provide a valuable feedback loop between kids and our product team. You collect Jammer suggestions, as well as pain points, and share them constructively with our engineers and designers.
- Marketing: You find and highlight the best projects in our courses and help our marketing team know the story behind all of the amazing kids in our courses.
- Support: You collaborate with our support team to help them better serve parents as needed.
What are the necessary traits to succeed in the role?
- Demonstrated passion for helping others to succeed
- Expertise building or actively participating in online communities
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Impeccable integrity
What is the compensation for the role?
- $62-72,000 depending on experience level
JAM is headquartered in San Francisco. The ideal candidate will be based in the Bay Area although we will also consider exceptional candidates who are remote.